Blog Post 7 – PLN and Education

Equality of Information

If everyone has access to the same platform, then everyone has access to the same information. Obviously how people interact with and use this information is completely up to them – or even what information they choose to look for – but it at least creates a level playing field.

Having access to the same platforms not only means everyone has equal access to information, but that everyone has equal opportunity to share their own stories and opinions. Once again, what individuals choose to do with this opportunity is completely up to them. Baker talks about how social platforms have allowed indigenous voices to be put out there. Because of social media, now Canadians have a source to hear about indigenous issues other than a textbook (probably) written by a white man. As Baker says, hearing a story second or third hand often results in a good portion of it being lost or misinterpreted. Now, real stories are being told by authentic sources.

Baker on PLNs

I really liked what Brad Baker said about the importance of a healthy community. He talked about how an ideal PLN can both support each other and challenge each other, and how this comes from healthy and respectful dialogue. I really appreciated this comment, because I think right now people on social media are so afraid to challenge anything or say anything that could be taken the wrong way. But I think when you have a “healthy” community, as Baker puts it, you’re PLN becomes a safe space to explore conversations in a respectful and honest way.

Social platforms in education

As Couros states, educators need to “acknowledge the complexities of learning in the digital age” (115). There are so many different social platforms, and different platforms are beneficial for different reasons. For example, Twitter works really well to spread a short message, and allows people to interact quickly with their PLN- and often expand it. A completely different example is Pinterest, which is a great way to find artistic inspiration in all sorts of areas, but offers little to no space for interaction and dialogue. Despite their differences, both of these tools could be really beneficial in a classroom setting, depending on the class and project in question.

Educators also need to be aware of which platforms will allow their students to connect with the material. I had some teachers in grade school that thought they were being really “cool” when they would create a project that got us to use technology, but it was a platform we had never heard of and would never use again after the project.

Works Cited

“Brad Baker EDCI 338.” YouTube, uploaded by MILLER, 10 June 2021, www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z8iHxW2n4&feature=youtu.be.

Veletsianos, George. “Developing Personal Learning Networks for Open and Social Learning.” Emerging Technologies in Distance Education (Issues in Distance Education), Illustrated, Athabasca University Press, 2010, pp. 106–28.

1. Justine

Hi Foster,

I’m glad to see that I was not the only one who’s had mediocre experiences with technology in school. Not only was it difficult to learn a new platform, but I remember being disappointed when it was never brought up again. I think that if we work to introduce more technology in education, it should be mindful of the existing popular forums that students already use or could use again at some point. I really like your point about using Twitter in the classroom because it is bite-sized and manageable. However, it is rare for schools to have access to enough resources to make it work. But if it is an assignment that requires at-home internet access, educators need to be mindful of the fact that many students cannot participate due to their lack of at-home tech. That being said, teachers know their students and should be able to adapt to different needs.