Blog Post 5 – Online Tools and Public Figures

Restrictions and Benefits of Online Tools

Using online tools in the workplace can be really beneficial in terms of expanding your PLN. Interacting with coworkers via social platforms makes it really easy to share contacts and expand networks. Interaction via online platforms also brings with it a level of inclusivity, since you are no longer limited to the people in your physical office. Being able to include voices from remote locations allows for more opinions and perspectives to be considered.

However, like Jody Vance mentions in her interview, it can be really difficult to create meaningful connections without face to face interaction. I think that while online tools can be extremely beneficial, the work that comes out of them won’t be comparable unless they are interwoven with in-person collaboration.

Public Eye Benefits

Social media is an extremely beneficial tool for public figures. Social media platforms have the economic favourability of being able to promote one’s brand. Every like, comment, and share generates free publicity. The larger your followers, the more free promotion you can get every time you share a new idea/project/product. In addition to the free advertising, public figures have a wonderful platform to create awareness and raise money for causes that are important to them. While I see this a fair bit, I think more people with blue checkmarks should be using their platforms to create social change and make a difference in ways that are important to them.

Misinformation and Social Media

Before you share anything on social media, you should take a minute to check both the information and the source. Check what other information the source has shared and what their background is. Then, see if you can find the same information from a different source, ideally one you already know and trust.

For veteran storytellers, or anyone wanting to publish original content on a topic, it is important to have people from your network you trust who can peer-edit and fact-check your work. Find others whose opinions you trust and who are close enough to you that they won’t be afraid to correct or contradict you.

Notable individuals and public figures often have an easier time with weeding out misinformation, since many of them have a team who works on their social media platforms. This means that they can pay someone to make sure information being posted/shared is accurate and comes from a reputable source. Of course, not all notable individuals have access to this kind of outsourcing, but that doesn’t negate their impact. Although anyone interacting on social media platforms is technically in the public eye, the more popular you become the more you need to be careful that what your posting is accurate and appropriate.

Works Cited

Hirst, Martin. Navigating Social Journalism: A Handbook for Media Literacy and Citizen Journalism. 1st ed., Routledge, 2018.

“Jody Vance – Media Voices.” YouTube, uploaded by MILLER, 6 June 2021, www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-NnpQJdl0A.

1. kylapattie

Hi Foster!

Great point on how online tools expand inclusivity outside the physical workplace. You also point out the downfalls to online tools and I totally agree with you. Due to covid, most of us can definitely agree that doing certain things remotely can be challenging. I found it was the utmost challenge when it came to group collaboration. It was difficult to find a time that worked best for everyone, things being said can be misinterpreted wrong and I found students would lack in contribution towards group assignments. Since everything got moved to online, each of our digital footprints have increased. This may have ruined people’s lives through not thinking clearly before sharing. I definitely agree with you that individuals need to think twice before deciding to share information on the internet because it is going to be there for the rest of their lives.

Great blog post this week!

• foster1

Good point about the group projects Kyla, I have definitely found that too! I feel like even more than misinterpretation and scheduling, for me it’s the lack of engagement. I feel like people lose interest, and even sometimes a sense of accountability when meeting online. Not showing up to an online meeting doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, whereas an in-person meeting seems really hard to skip without a good reason.

2. jiayi rao

Hello Forster, I agree your opinion about the restrictions of online tools. Communicate face to face is a better way to clear up a misunderstanding. People are easily misunderstand people without hearing the tone, watching their expression and the body language while they are talking.

3. jiayir

Hi Foster! I think it is not easy to find realistic information on social media. Some media only collect information without verifying it personally, which makes it difficult to guarantee the authenticity of reports from all sides. In order to create a sensational effect, some media make a fuss about the angle of news reporting, choose a sensitive angle to stimulate the public nerves, and ignore the overall truth and balance principle of news.

4. aidan

Hi Foster,

I thought you made a great point in saying that people with a platform could be doing more to create social change. A persons voice is often their greatest strength and so often those with the largest platforms are the most silent on important issues. Personally I think with large platforms comes responsibility to speak on these issues and potentially give a platform to those with no voice aswell. Using your platform to lift someone up and let their voice be heard if you will.

Great blog!

Aidan